Senior Standout: Notre Dame's Sydney Slack
GREEN BAY (WLUK) -- Sydney Slack is a key player on the Notre Dame girls volleyball team which was the Division 2 state runner-up last season.
The senior is versatile, playing outside hitter and setter. Slack is a four-year starter and she has just one goal this season -- get back to state and win a gold ball.
Recently, Slack took the time to talk about her season and interests, which includes watching a reality TV show.
Here's the interview:
Q: Last year your team finished as the Division 2 state runner-up. How much has that fueled the team for this year?
SS: It's definitely fueled us a lot, I would say. It's pushed us every day to get back there and get the gold ball instead of the silver one.
Q: What was that experience like playing in the title match?
SS: It was really cool. In the beginning of the match, seeing our highlights from the game before on the big screen was really cool. Playing against Catholic Memorial was another battle. We didn't win, but I think that just pushes us again this year.
Q: Can this team win state this year?
SS: Yes. I think our senior leadership is a big role in our success. We have six seniors who have been on this team for two or three years and I think we really lead the team to our success and I think just our powerful offense and being able to go to anyone at any time is really helpful.
Q: You're a hitter and a setter. You seem to be a natural hitter and you set when you were younger. How did you develop both skills?
SS: It was kind of hard of getting back into the rhythm of setting because I had not done it since I was 13 years old. I work hard in practice every day and connect with my hitters and just get them in the right posisionts to be successful.
Q: Do enjoy setting up a player for a kill or would you rather get the kill?
SS: I'd rather get the kill?
Q: Do you plan on playing volleyball in college?
SS: I'm not sure yet.
Q: Do you play other sports?
Q: What is your best high school memory?
SS: Playing in the championship match last year at state?
Q: Do you have any superstitions?
SS: I eat Subway every time before a match. Nothing, really. Dance in the locker room, have fun with the team.
- TV show: Probably "Keeping Up With the Kardashians."
- Pro athlete: Steph Curry.
- Favorite class: Probably College Credit English.
- Meal: Pasta.
- Place to play on the road: Resch Center or any big school.
- Sports team: Women's national volleyball team.
Coach Ben Wolf says:
- "She's a phenomenal volleyball player. She's been in our program since she was a freshman, starting since she was a freshman. She's extremely dominant at the net. She makes reads quicker than anybody on the floor. She really leads us in practice. She's a great leader, a great communicator. We're extremely lucky to have a player like that in the program."
Follow Doug Ritchay on Twitter @dougritchay