Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes ofwebsite accessibilitySuspect charged in 1992 Waupaca County double homicide | WLUK
Close Alert

Suspect charged in 1992 Waupaca County double homicide

Tanna Togstad and Timothy Mumbrue before their deaths in 1992. (Photo provided by family)
Tanna Togstad and Timothy Mumbrue before their deaths in 1992. (Photo provided by family)
Facebook Share IconTwitter Share IconEmail Share Icon
Comment bubble

WAUPACA (WLUK) – A suspect has been charged with the 1992 murders of Tanna Togstad and Timothy Mumbrue in rural Waupaca County -- murders prompted by a snowmobile crash which killed the suspect’s father 15 years earlier.

Tony Haase, 51, of Weyauwega, was charged with two counts of first-degree intentional homicide.

Haase appeared in Waupaca County court Friday and bond was set at $2 million cash. He returns to court Tuesday.

"It's been a long time coming for our family," said Richard Togstad, Tanna's brother. "Our family's really happy, that's about it."

Togstad finally feels a huge weight lifted off of his shoulders.

"I do know Waupaca County's worked very hard," said Togstad. "DCI worked very hard, the FBI."

Togstad, 23, and her boyfriend, Mumbrue, 35, were found stabbed to death in their Royalton farmhouse. Togstad died of one stab wound to the chest, while Mumbrue was stabbed multiple times, according to the autopsy report cited in the criminal complaint. The couple's pet dog was also stabbed and killed.

"They said they were going to get it solved," said Togstad.

Police identified Haase as a suspect, and a DNA sample was taken from him during a traffic stop last month. Test results showed him to be a “major male contributor” to the fluids recovered from Togstad’s body, the complaint states.

"I believe he'd be a considerate flight risk, and I think the significant cash bond is appropriate on behalf of the victims," said Veronica Isherwood, Waupaca County District Attorney.

"Given Mr. Haase's lack of criminal history, and his incredibly strong ties to the area, we would ask to consider a cash bond but a more appropriate amount," said attorney Alex Gelhar.

Haase initially denied any involvement, but during questioning Thursday, he admitted to the murders.

Eventually, Haase disclosed to investigators that his father had been killed in a snowmobile accident when he was 5 or 8 years old. Investigators had discovered Haase’s father died on Dec. 31, 1977 when Haase was 7 years old.

Haase continued and described that his father was operating a snowmobile in a group of three that was racing. The second snowmobile hit his father’s, and his father was killed. The third snowmobile then ran over the driver of the second. He described it as a horrible accident. One of the other snowmobile drivers was Tanna Togstad’s father.

"I don't know him personally; I know his family," said Togstad. "I feel bad for them, but I didn't do it."

Haase explained that on the evening of March 20, 1992, he became very drunk as he went from one bar to another by himself. For some reason, he started to think about the accident that killed his father. Those thoughts led to him going to the home of Tanna Togstad.

Haase could not articulate why he went there but insisted it was not to hurt anyone. He described himself as being in a drunken stupor that night. Haase describes getting into a “scuffle” with Mumbrue. He could not remember if he had brought a knife or if the knife was at the house. During the “scuffle,” he and Mumbrue were wrestling while standing up, and he moved his arm in a stabbing motion toward Mumbrue’s chest. He described Mumbrue falling to the floor near the foot of the bed.

Haase remembered Togstad yelling, “What the f---,” and that is when he punched her in the face. It is believed he would have knocked her out at this time. At some point, Togstad started to stir, and that is when he stabbed her in the chest.

When asked why he didn’t tell investigators right away, Haase replied, “I didn’t want it to sound like I had it planned.” Haase told investigators he did not know why he did it. At this point, Haase told investigators when he saw the news report he thought, “Holy f---, what did I do?" the complaint states.

"Mr. Haase is facing life in prison," said Waupaca County Circuit Court Judge Raymond Huber. "It certainly makes one question if they will appear for future court appearances, so I think a substantial cash bond on each [victim] is appropriate."

Togstad says he never gave up hope when searching for his sister's killer, and now, their family can have some peace and closure.

"She was a very nice person," said Togstad. "Everybody liked her."

Comment bubble

Haase was booked into the Waupaca County jail Thursday.

Loading ...