Surveillance video shows how van became trapped in Walnut Street Bridge

A minivan is stuck between sections of the Walnut Street bridge in Green Bay June 22, 2017. (Photo courtesy Green Bay Metro Fire Dept.)

GREEN BAY (WLUK) -- Terrifying video shows how a minivan became trapped during the opening of Green Bay's Walnut Street Bridge this summer.

At nearly 2:45 a.m, surveillance video from the rainy June 22nd overnight shows a minivan driving under a lowering crossing barrier. The van comes to a sudden stop on the movable part of the bridge.

The video shows the van sat for 20 seconds before the bridge slowly started to open. That caused the van to slide down, becoming wedged between portions of the bridge.

While no one was hurt, it took 45 minutes before a large tow truck was able to remove the van.

It's unclear why the driver decided to go under the lowering barrier and stop on the bridge. FOX 11 was unable to locate him for comment.

City documents show the driver was cited for driving without a license.

The bridgetender, Michael Riley, was fired for not following protocol and providing false information.

Riley is now fighting to get his job back.

In a discrimination complaint to the state Department of Workforce Development, Riley alleges the city is ignoring that his diabetes is a disability.

In the complaint, Riley says after seeing video of the incident he started to realize he must have had ‘a sugar low as he was not doing his normal routine for opening a bridge.’

However, in a response to Riley's discrimination complaint, Assistant City Attorney Joe Faulds writes Riley initially stated the cause of the incident was the driver speeding through the gate. Faulds writes it wasn't until two weeks later, only after Riley watched the video, that Riley stated his medical condition was the reason he failed to operate the procedures correctly.

The city's response also points out that video monitors inside the bridgetender tower used to monitor traffic were not turned on until after the crossing barriers were lowered. You can see the monitors turn on in the surveillance video, just as the bridge starts to open.

FOX 11 was unable to reach Riley for comment for this story.

The city declined comment, because there still has been no resolution in Riley's attempts to get his job back.

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off