DOT conducts study on Shawano County Highway 29
SHAWANO COUNTY (WLUK) -- A new study is underway in Shawano County by the Wisconsin Department of Transportation.
The department has hired a consulting firm to study five intersections along Highway 29.
From 2012 to 2016 there were a total of 53 crashes between the five intersections. Of those 53 crashes, five were fatal.
- County Highway F, near Angelica (10 crashes)
- County Highway MMM, near Shawano (10 crashes)
- County Highway U, near Gresham (15 crashes)
- County Highway D, near Seneca (9 crashes)
- County Highway J, near Tigerton (9 crashes)
The DOT is now trying to figure-out why so many crashes have been happening.
"We're looking at all these different concepts, all these different ideas. At this point in time, we do not have any recommendations as far as which way to go. It was basically okay, here's what the crashes are, here's all the different things we could look at," said DOT traffic supervisor, Brent Matthews.
At the most deadly intersection, 29 and County Highway U, rumble strips and extra signage have already been installed to help warn drivers.