Power companies: Spring melt creating dangerous conditions around dams
(WLUK) -- Be careful around dams and hydroelectirc plants this time of year.
Wisconsin Public Service, We Energies and the Wisconsin River Power Company say their crews have seen river flows increasing at their respective dams in the past week. High water is common this time of year as snow and ice melts.
The companies warn outdoor enthusiasts who use the rivers and reservoirs around dams to take precautions, including:
- Obeying all warning signs.
- Heeding horns or sirens.
- Being aware of rapidly changing water conditions.
- Practicing safe boating and swimming.
- Carrying a cell phone to contact 911 in an emergency.
- Wearing a personal floatation device (PFD), a life jacket.
- Staying outside buoy lines and away from restricted areas near dams.
- Having a safe escape route planned, and being prepared to evacuate at the first sign of danger.