MENU
component-ddb-728x90-v1-01-desktop

WPS to hunters: Check your heater to prevent CO poisoning

Hunting cabin in Marinette County woods, October 31, 2016 (WLUK/Eric Peterson)

GREEN BAY (WLUK) -- With the gun deer season fast approaching, Wisconsin Public Service is reminding hunters to inspect their heating systems inside their hunting shelters.

An inspection can prevent the buildup of carbon monoxide caused by incomplete burning of fuel or improper venting, the power company says.

The signs of carbon monoxide poisoning include:

  • Dizziness, headaches and fatigue
  • Cherry-red lips and an usually pale complexion
  • Nausea or vomiting
  • Fluttering heart beat
  • Unconsciousness

To prevent carbon monoxide poisoning, which can be fatal, hunters should install and test carbon monoxide detectors inside hunting shelters and ensure all heating vents are free of debris. Also do not use electric generators indoors.

It is also important for hunters not to hunt around power lines or electric distribution equipment as a stray shot could damage equipment and result in loss of power, WPS says.

If you bag a trophy buck, we'd love to see a photo or video! Share it with us here:


Trending