Week 8 Review: Wrightstown wins key game; Southwest hangs on
GREEN BAY (WLUK) -- The Week 8 Game Time Game of the Week was as close to a conference championship game as you can get as North Eastern Conference co-leaders Luxemburg-Casco and Wrightstown met.
The winner would clinch a share of the NEC with a week to play and Wrightstown proved to be too much, beating the Spartans, 24-6, behind two touchdowns from running back Braydon Smith.
Wrightstown leads the NEC with a 6-1 record and can win the title outright Friday at Little Chute. However, if the Tigers lose the NEC could have a five-way tie for first as Freedom, Fox Valley Lutheran, Little Chute and Luxemburg-Casco are each one game behind Wrightstown.
No matter what happens Friday, Wrightstown is the only team assured of the title.
Elsewhere in Week 8, Green Bay Southwest faced Notre Dame and beat the Tritons, 14-7, to take over sole possession of second place in the Fox River Classic Conference. The Trojans showed a lot of character coming off their first loss of the season the week before to FRCC leader Bay Port.
Meanwhile at West De Pere the Phantoms ran their record to 7-1 on the season with an impressive 34-0 win over Bay Conference foe Waupaca. The Phantoms have been doing it "their" way all season, running the ball as Austin Beaumier had 140 yards on 24 carries and scored two touchdowns, while freshman quarterback Josh Blount added 83 yards on 20 carries and three touchdowns.
In Appleton it was "Rivalry Friday" as two big rivalry games took place. Appleton North defeated Appleton West, 56-10, as Carter Robinson threw for 165 yards and three touchdowns.
At Fox Valley Lutheran, the Foxes led Xavier, 28-0, trailed Xavier, 29-28, and then Zayne Rodencal scampered 57 yards for the game-winning score as the Foxes won, 36-29. Rodencal finished with 183 yards and three touchdowns.
WEEK 8'S TOP PERFORMERS
- Jared Jandt, Peshtigo: 23-275, 3 TDs
- Jamison Sassman, Seymour: 35-257, TD
- Jake Krueger, Oconto: 11-19-293, 5 TDs
- Hunter Plamann, Xavier: 28-50-265, 4 TDs
- Kyle Daoust, Southern Door: 16-23-255, 2 TDs
- Jared Lensmeyer, Manitowoc: 9-19-207, 4 TDs
- Alec Rosner, Kimberly: 9-12, 203, 3 TDs
- Isaac Woller, Oconto: 5-230, 4 TDs
- Sam Gerend, Southern Door: 11-172, TD
- Adam Zeratsky, Appleton North: 5-124, 2 TDs
- Sam Ferris, Xavier: 14-120, TD
- Derek Kroll, Oshkosh West: 7-119, TD
- Cordell Tinch, Bay Port: 6-119, TD
- Jack Allen, Notre Dame: 6-113, TD
Follow Doug Ritchay on Twitter @dougritchay