Cohen III eligible to play for Phoenix after first semester
GREEN BAY (WLUK) -- The Green Bay men's basketball team announced transfer Sandy Cohen III will be able to play basketball for the Phoenix this season after the first semester.
Cohen, the former Seymour star, will miss the first 12 games this season and then will be eligible to play in his first game this season on Dec. 21 versus Bowling Green at the Resch Center, and will play out the remainder of his redshirt junior year in 2017-18.
Cohen transferred from Marquette to Green Bay in December 2016, before sitting out the 2016-17 season due to NCAA Division I transfer rules. Cohen III has practiced with the team since that time and traveled with the team to Puerto Rico in August, where he averaged 11.0 ppg. and led the team in rebounding with 5.5 rpg.
Cohen was granted an NCAA waiver, receiving an additional year of eligibility to be used in the 2018-19 season, the school announced on Friday.
“This is great news for both Sandy and our program. He has been with our team now for almost a year and has been working extremely hard on the court, in the weightroom and in the classroom. We can’t wait to get working with our team next week and we look forward to having Sandy as a part of our program for the next two years,” coach Linc Darner said in a news release.
Green Bay will hold its first official team practice on Oct. 9 and will face Ripon on Oct. 30, for its exhibition game at the Resch Center. The Phoenix officially opens the regular season on Nov. 14, at Northern Illinois.
HORIZON LEAGUE PRESEASON AWARDS
The Horizon League announced the 2017-18 men’s basketball preseason poll and preseason all-league teams on Friday and Green Bay was picked 6th out of the 10 teams in the poll, which Oakland earning the nod as the preseason favorites.
Team (First-Place votes) Total Votes
- Oakland (31) 453
- Northern Kentucky (10) 414
- UIC (3) 347
- Detroit Mercy (1) 273
- Wright State 259
- Green Bay 249
- Youngstown State (1) 209
- Milwaukee (1) 161
- Cleveland State 125
- IUPUI 95
PRESEASON PLAYER OF THE YEAR
- Drew McDonald, Northern Kentucky
- Drew McDonald, Northern Kentucky 16.9 ppg, 7.6 rebs
- Jalen Hayes, Oakland 17.9 ppg, 9.2 rebs
- Martez Walker, Oakland 17.8 ppg overall
- Dikembe Dixson, UIC 20.3 ppg, 6 rebs (all gms.)
- Cameron Morse, Youngstown State 23.2 ppg led HL
- Corey Allen, Detroit Mercy 15.4 ppg, 16-17 HL FOTY
- Jaleel Hogan, Detroit Mercy 16.9 ppg, 6.9 rebs
- Lavone Holland II, Northern Kentucky 14.5 ppg, 4.1 ast overall
- Kendrick Nunn, Oakland 15.5 ppg at Illinois in 15-16
- Tai Odiase, UIC 3.2 blks, 16-17 HL DPOTY
*All stats are 16-17 Horizon League games only, unless noted.