MENU
component-ddb-728x90-v1-01-desktop

Sheriff: Local property owner potential threat to public at Boulder Lake Campground

Boulder Lake Campground sign, January 23, 2018 (WLUK/Eric Peterson)

OCONTO COUNTY (WLUK) -- Sheriff's officials have confirmed a local property owner is the reason a popular campground in Oconto County will close.

Park officials say Boulder Lake Camp in the Chequamegon-Nicolet National Forest will not reopen for the 2018 season due to safety concerns.

Oconto County Sheriff's officials say they agree with the shutdown decision based on their encounters last year with the property owner, who lives right next to the campground.

“We did not have any egregious behaviors during those encounters, however, some of the after-the-fact situations that were presented to us, although legal, were questionable,” said Chief Deputy Ed Janke of the Oconto County Sheriff’s Department.

Janke wouldn't identify the property owner, but explained the man was basically holding target practice on his property, which is legal, but concerning.

“There were some weapons being fired in the vicinity of the campground on his property,” said Janke. “Again, with some indirect innuendo that would lead us to believe that we may have a threat.”

It's unclear what needs to happen for the campground to reopen. Chief Deputy Janke says they should know more after some upcoming court proceedings. We asked what those court proceedings are about, however, Janke would not elaborate.

“We believe at this point and time the matter is stabilized and we will continue to monitor and we will have more information to release in the new future,” said Janke.

Refunds are being issued to anyone who made reservations at Boulder Lake for this year.

The campground is about 15 miles southwest of Mountain.

The U.S. Forest Service has teamed up with local authorities on the decision to close the park, including the Oconto County Sheriff's Office and Langlade County Sheriff's Office.


close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off

Trending