School district uses new lockdown procedure for first time

Police vehicles surround Green Bay East High School, June 23, 2014. (WLUK/Bill Miston)

GREEN BAY - The lockdown at Green Bay East High School Monday was the first time the school district used its new safety procedure.

However, some parents are still looking for better lines of communication during a crisis.

Marilyn Lance says she received the scare of a lifetime: police surrounding East High School when she came to pick up her son.

“I had no idea this was happening until I actually left to go pick him up because his class was supposed to end at 10. And when I got there I saw all these police cars and everything and I had no clue what the heck was happening,” said Lance, whose son Michael is going to be a senior next fall.

After a report of a gun, the district says the school was following its new high-alert lockdown procedure, called ALICE. That stands for Alert, Lockdown, Inform, Counter, and Evacuate.

“It empowers the individual teachers to make a choice whether it's safe to evacuate. Or, if they don't have enough information, to lock down and barricade,” said Barb Dorff.

Dorff handles school security procedures. She says even though different age groups of students were at East for summer school, the process went smoothly.

“And we had each child then call the parents and we had a list of the classes and teachers. So we knew who was there, who was in attendance and on the rosters,” said Dorff.

But some parents say use of the district-wide parent messaging system would have helped.

“I think the school district did a wonderful job by responding quickly,” said Lance. “The only thing I would suggest is that for parents, that we should be notified immediately of a lockdown.”

The school district says while following the ALICE procedure doesn't change because it's summer school, the district says it will be reviewing its policy on how to notify parents.

“I think that summer school security is something we will be taking a closer look at over the next week or so,” said Dorff.

Both parents and the district say despite the scare, they're relieved everyone was safe.

The district also said if the situation would have been more serious, faster notification would have been sent to parents.