MENU
component-ddb-728x90-v1-01-desktop

Tablet catches fire at Fond du Lac school

An Acer tablet caught fire inside a Roberts Elementary classroom in Fond du Lac, March 14, 2017. (WLUK)

CLARIFICATION: A teacher carried the e-reader out of the classroom, not a student as our story originally indicated. A corrected version of the story is below:

-----

FOND DU LAC (WLUK) -- Firefighters were called to a Fond du Lac elementary school Tuesday after a tablet caught fire.

According to the fire crews, a teacher at Roberts Elementary called authorities after smelling a strange odor in the classroom.

Smoke was discovered at the back of the room coming out of an e-reader. A teacher carried the device outside because it was melting.

The Fond du Lac Fire Department helped clear smoke from the room.

Authorities say the device was not plugged in at the time it caught fire.

"It looks like to us that there was some sort of malfunction of the battery," said Fond du Lac Fire Chief, Peter O'Leary. "It wasn't being charged or anything, so it was a little odd for us to see something combust like that."


The fire department called Acer, the company that produces the tablet, to report the incident.

The device is not under any current recalls.

Fire officials also contacted the Product Safety Commission.


Trending