Recalled dehumidifier catches fire in Fond du Lac
FOND DU LAC (WLUK) -- Firefighters say a recalled dehumidifier caught fire in Fond du Lac this morning.
Firefighters say they were called to the 700 block of Mustang Lane around 8:45 a.m. A person in the house had put the fire out using a chemical fire extinguisher.
Firefighters remind homeowners to check their dehumidifiers to see if they are on the list of recalled models. The one that caught fire Thursday was a Gree brand Soleus Air model GM-DEH-45-1, according to the Fond du Lac Fire Dept.
With warmer weather here, dehumidifiers in our basements are at work.
But some dehumidifiers. recalled in 2013, are still in use.
One overheated and caught fire in a Fond du Lac basement Thursday morning.
Troy Haase, Fond du Lac Fire/Rescue Division Chief of Fire Prevention, said, "It was crazy."
The Fond du Lac fire department says the fire was contained to the basement in this home on Mustang Lane, and luckily there were no injuries. But it brings an important reminder.
Haase said, "I imagine there's a lot of people across the state and country that have these dehumidifiers and don't even think about it."
The fire department says it's crucial for all homeowners to make sure their dehumidifiers are not on a recall list. They say the easiest way to do that is by checking online. You can do so here.
Haase said, "In this case, it's a serious situation."
Appliance experts say if you're concerned about your dehumidifier, the best thing to do is contact the manufacturer.
Pat Collins, a parts manager at Silica For Your Home, an appliance store, said, "If you're really concerned about it, disconnect the power, turn off the breaker."
And even if your dehumidifier hasn't been recalled, Collins said, "Keep it clean, keep the area around it clear, and keep the ventilation clean."
"They got vents on them for reasons, to make sure that they stay cool," he said.
At the end of the day, keeping your eye out for those recalls could save you a lot of trouble.
Haase said, "It's a trend in this area, and I'm sure its throughout that these continue to happen."
Collins said, "Check it's better safe than sorry."