Kohler chefs share recipes Mom will love for Mother's Day
GREEN BAY (WLUK) -- Kohler chefs Paul Smitala and Evan Wallerman from Blackwolf Run in Kohler, are sharing some new recipes for mom. They joined Rachel Manek on Good Day Wisconsin to show how they prepare "Bloody Mary Eggs Benedict" and "Sweet Potato, Beer and Bacon Waffles."
If you choose to take mom out, instead of cooking, here's a list of dining options in Kohler and the American Club Resort.
Breakfast (Regular Menu) 6:30am-10am
Grand Buffet 10am-4pm Adults $45, Children 5-12 years $16, 4 and under complimentary; Reservations Required.
Dinner (Regular Menu) 5-10pm
Breakfast 8am-Noon; Lunch Noon-6pm
Lunch 11am-5pm; Dinner 5-9:30pm
The Grand Hall of the Great Lakes
10am-3pm Reservations Required
$49 Adults; $18 Children 5-12; 4 and under free, Menu price is exclusive of tax. A 20.5% service fee will be added to your check; no additional gratuity is expected.
The Wisconsin Room
A la Carte Breakfast Menu Available 7-9am
Brunch 9am-2pm Reservations Required
$49 Adults; $16 Children 5-12; 4 and under free
Whistling Straits Restaurant
Mother’s Day Specials:
Lunch 11am-5pm $14
Poached Eggs served on Corned Beef Hash Patties, broiled tomatoes, and grilled asparagus, chive Hollandaise
Smoked Ham Bacon, and Aged Cheddar Monte Cristo served with a mixed berry parfait
Dinner 5-10pm $30
Scallop and Lobster Pappardelle Pasta asparagus, heirloom tomatoes, fire roasted peppers, caramelized fennel, Bellavitano espresso cream
Mother’s will receive a complimentary glass of house wine. Reservations recommended
Bloody Mary Eggs Benedict
4 slices English Muffins
8 slices Applewood Bacon (cooled and chopped)
1 C Mushroom Duxelle (recipe below)
1 C Bloody Mary Hollandaise Sauce (recipe below)
4 Poached Eggs
1. Toast English muffin and cover with ½ C mushroom duxelle that has been warmed.
2. Top with poached eggs, cover with hollandaise sauce and finish with chopped bacon.
Bloody Mary Hollandaise
4 Egg Yolks
½ # Butter (melted and warm)
1 Shallot, minced
1 clove Garlic, minced
2 t Celery Salt
1 ½ t Horseradish
1 T Worcestershire Sauce
1 t Tabasco
½ Lemon (juice of)
2 C + 2T Referent Horseradish Vodka
¼ C Tomato Paste
TT Salt and Pepper
1. In a 2 quart sauce pan, combine shallot, garlic, horseradish, Worcestershire sauce,
tabasco sauce, tomato paste and vodka. Heat on medium, allow to flame and reduce
to one cup and strain through a fine mesh sieve.
2. In a separate pan, melt the butter and keep warm.
3. In a 2 quart sauce pan bring 1 inch of water to a simmer, place a bowl on top of pan to
make a double boiler. Add the 4 egg yolks and reduced liquid to the bowl and whisk
until the mixture thickens slightly. Do not let the water boil.
4. Slowly stream the melted butter into the yolk mixture while whisking constantly until
all the butter is incorporated.
5. Add the 2 Tbsp of vodka, celery salt, lemon juice, season to finish with salt, tabasco
and Worcestershire to taste.
2 oz Olive Oil
2 oz Shallot, chopped
1 ½ # Button Mushrooms (½ diced, ½ robot couped)
TT Salt and Pepper
1. Melt butter in pan.
2. Add the shallots and sweat.
3. Add the mushrooms to the pan and cook until they are browned and dry
4. Add salt and pepper to taste
Page 1 of 2
4 Eggs, fresh
1 qt Water
2 t Vinegar
1 t Salt
1. Bring water, vinegar and salt to boil and reduce to simmer.
2. Break eggs into separate cups.
3. Carefully pour eggs into water.
4. Cook for 3 minutes or until whites set up.
5. Serve immediately or cool in ice water bath.
Sweet Potato, Beer and Bacon Waffles
2 C All Purpose Flour, sifted
½ C White Sugar
1 ½ tsp Baking Powder
1 tsp Salt
2 Eggs, beaten
2 C Beer
4 T Butter, melted
1 C Neuske’s Bacon,
½ C Sweet Potato Puree
1. In a large bowl, stir together the flour, sugar baking powder and salt. Pour in the sweet potatoes, egg, beer and melted butter; stir with a whisk just until blended, a few lumps are okay. Fold in cooked bacon.
2. Heat a waffle maker to desired temperature. Follow directions on your specific waffle
maker. Coat with vegetable oil or cooking spray. Spoon about ¼ C of batter onto the
hot surface for each specific waffle maker.
Chipotle Maple Butter Sauce
2 C Chicken Stock
6 T Roux (3 T butter, 3 T flour)
1 t Garlic Cloves, chopped
1 C Heavy Cream
1 T Chipotle Peppers, chopped
¼ C Pure Wisconsin Maple Syrup
¼ C Butter
1. In a sauce pan over medium heat, melt 3T butter and stir in 3T flour.
2. Cook for 2 minutes.
3. Whisk in chicken stock and heavy cream, bring to a boil and reduce heat to a simmer.
4. Add Chipotle Peppers and Wisconsin Maple syrup, simmer for 20 minutes.
5. Whisk in ¼ C butter.