Great tips for staying safe over the Christmas shopping season
GREEN BAY (WLUK) -- Jason Weber of the Fox Crossing Police Department is talking Christmas safety.
- Park in well lit areas and always lock your doors. Way too many thefts are crimes of opportunity!
- Pay attention as you are out and about. Too many people are distracted by their smart phone and thieves are looking for that.
- Don’t leave anything in plain sight in your car – lock in the trunk or in covered in the back of an SUV/minivan.
- Avoid carrying a lot of cash – use credit cards. Credit is better than debit cards in the event they are compromised. A credit card does not tie into your bank accounts.
- Check online accounts for your activity! Scrutinize all charges!
- Ladies – be careful with your purse! Don’t leave it unattended in the shopping cart. Many thefts of purses are a result of this!
Package thefts are a huge issue!
- Sign up for tracking notification
- If you know that you will be gone, have it delivered to work or a neighbor
- Consider a doorbell camera
Home safety when gone
- Many agencies offer vacation house checks.
- Have a neighbor shovel snow and get mail/paper
- Lights on timers
- Have a charged cell phone when in the car in case something happens