CWY: Herbed potato salad and grilled vegetable pasta salad
ASHWAUBENON - Our Cooking With You guest this week is Amanda Baugnet of Denmark!
Amanda joined FOX 11's Emily Deem to create some great summer recipes and to talk about Kellner Back Acre Gardens CSA.
Herbed Potato Salad
- 1 1/2 pounds new potatoes (about 15), halved if large
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh herbs (such as flat-leaf parsley, tarragon, and chives)
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon whole-grain mustard
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- kosher salt and black pepper
- Fill a large saucepan with 1 inch of water and fit with a steamer basket; bring the water to a boil. Place the potatoes in the basket, cover, and steam until tender, 12 to 14 minutes; drain. In the summer cook in tin foil packets. Add an ice cube to the packet to prevent sticking and steam them.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, mix together the herbs, scallions, oil, mustard, vinegar, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Add the cooked potatoes and toss to combine.
Grilled vegetable pasta salad
1 pound cherry tomatoes, halved
1 medium zucchini, quartered and cut into ½-inch cubes
1 medium summer squash, quartered and cut into ½-inch cubes
1 fennel bulb, cut into ½-inch slices and diced
1 small red bell pepper, seeded and cut into ¾-inch cubes
1 can of cannellini beans.
1½ tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
½ teaspoon kosher salt, optional
Freshly ground pepper
8 ounces whole wheat rotini (spiral-shaped pasta) – type of pasta optional
¼ cup Italian dressing
2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
¼ cup fresh basil, torn into large pieces
- Pre-heat grill.
- Cut zucchini in half and quarter the bulbs of fennel and red pepper. Drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Grill for three minutes on each side – vegetables should not be cooked through.
- Take vegetables off of grill, cut into bite size pieces and place in bottom of bowl.
- Drizzle half of the dressing over the vegetables.
- While the vegetables are roasting, cook the pasta, following package directions.
- Drain the pasta and add to bowl.
- Toss remaining dressing over the pasta, adding more as needed.
- To serve, place the vegetable pasta salad on a serving plate and top with the cheese and basil.
- Can be served as a side to main entre or over salad greens for a complete meal.
Notes: To reduce calories instead of salad dressing reserve pasta water and add as necessary. Then just had two tablespoons of herbs. I recommend using dried herbs only if you intend to keep the salad in the fridge for more than a day.
1 cup of kale greens
¼ cup of chopped nuts of choice
1/4 cup of dried cherries
¼ cup of goat cheese
Poppy seed dressing
Clean kale well and cut. Top with ingredients. Since Kale is heavy you can dress earlier than eating.
Tips for Kale
If eating in a salad – try to eat close to purchase or picking so they leaves are tender. If they are a few days old consider sautéing them instead or adding to soups and smoothies.
After chopping the kale, massage it with olive oil and salt. This will help the leaves break down a bit.
When all else fails – add bacon. A hot bacon dressing will wilt the leaves and make it taste like baconJ