Chef Champion shares southern style recipes that are perfect for your football party
Chef ace champion 2
GREEN BAY (WLUK) – Looking to add some southern flare to your football party this weekend?
Chef Ace Champion joined FOX 11’s Emily Deem on Good Day Wisconsin to share some recipes.
Peaches & Cream Crème Brule
Serves four people
¾ cup heavy whipping cream
¼ Irish Cream Liquor
2 teaspoons of Madagascar Vanilla Bean Paste or Vanilla Extract
1/3 cup sugar
4 large brown egg yolks
4 ounces cream cheese
½ tablespoon of cornstarch
1 Tablespoon of Vodka or any liquid
4 whole Medium ripe peaches (cored)
2 tablespoons sugar for burning the sugar
1. Place whipping cream in a medium saucepan with ½ the sugar on medium heat. Bring to a simmer and cook stirring constantly for about 3 minutes. Turn off heat.
2. Combine the rest of the sugar and egg yolks and vanilla in a mixing bowl, whisking until smooth. Slowly add warm cream to egg mixture, whisking constantly. Transfer egg mixture into a double boiler over simmering water. Whisk mixture constantly about 9 minutes or until thickened and coats back of spoon (Napa). Stir in the cornstarch and vodka slurry and cook for 3 more minutes stirring constantly. Remove top from heat, and place in the refrigerator for cooling, stirring occasionally with a spatula; allow mixture to cool completely. Mixture will thicken slightly while cooling. When cooled transfer cold custard into a piping bag and keep refrigerated until ready to fill the peaches.
3. Cut tops off peaches, and carefully hollow them out, discarding pit using a pit remover. (Slice a thin portion from bottoms, if needed, to help peaches sit upright.) Fill each peach with about 1/4 cup custard, smoothing so mixture is even with top of peach. Refrigerate until ready to serve, at least 4 hours to set or overnight would be best.
4. Sprinkle a thin layer of sugar onto each custard-filled peach; caramelize sugar using a kitchen torch, keeping torch moving at all times for even coloring. Serve within 1 hour of browning sugar.
You can also pour the custard in ramekins or small bowls as well.
Southern Style Shrimp & Grits
YIELD: 4 Servings
• 2 cups low-sodium chicken stock, plus more if needed
• 2 cups cream, plus more if needed
• 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
• 3/4 cup grits or polenta
• 4 ounces you favorite cheese, shredded
• ¼ cup of sugar
• Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste about 2 teaspoons of both
SAUSAGE, SHRIMP AND PEPPERS:
• 3 tablespoons avocado oil
• ¾ pound Andouille sausage, cut into 1/4-inch-thick rounds
• 4 medium, garlic clove minced
• 1 small orange bell pepper, cut in small diced
• 1 small Red Bell Pepper, cut in small dice
• ½ red sweet onion, cut in small dice
• 1-pound uncooked large shrimp, peeled, deveined and cut into thirds
• 1 tablespoon of Cajun Seasoning
• 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken stock
• 2 tablespoon of salted butter
• Hot Sauce 3 to 4 dashes optional
• Chopped fresh green onions, for garnish
1. For the grits: Bring the chicken broth, the cream and butter to a simmer in a heavy saucepan. Gradually whisk in the grits. Reduce the heat and simmer until the grits have thickened, 15 to 20 minutes, stirring occasionally to avoid lumps. Once the grits are thick and creamy, stir in the cheese and adjust the consistency with stock and/or cream and season with salt and pepper.
2. For the sausage, shrimp and peppers: Heat the avocado oil in a large skillet. Add the sausage, garlic and brown. About 2 minutes on medium high. Then transfer to a plate with a slotted spoon, leaving all of the fat in the skillet.
3. Add the shrimp and sauté until they begin to turn pink, 1 to 2 minutes. Add the reserved sausage, bell pepper and onions to the skillet, sprinkle with Cajun seasoning and sauté until tender, 5 minutes. Add the chicken stock to the skillet and let reduce until the liquid is almost gone. Stir in the butter at the end. Mix well and garnish with sliced green unions.
4. Divide the grits in the center of 4 large plates in a neat manor. Carefully spoon full the sausage mix over the grits and top with green onions. You can top with more cheese if you like.