(FOX 11 Top 11 rankings in parentheses)
GAMETIME GAME OF THE WEEK
Freedom (0-1) at Winneconne (1-0): Freedom is coming off a 20-19 loss at Wrightstown in a game coach Clint Kriewaldt felt his team should’ve won. It’ll be interesting to see how Freedom responds against the defending Division 4 state champs, who blitzed Ripon last week, 35-8.
For What It’s Worth: It would be surprising if this game was a shootout with defenses that are strong and offenses that like to control the ball.
Prediction: Freedom 20, Winneconne 14.
Seymour (0-1) at (3) Menasha (1-0): Seymour suffered an unexpected 28-21 loss to Luxemburg-Casco last week and now has to go against a Menasha team that whipped New London, 41-7. If Menasha gets going early, Seymour could be in for another long game.
FWIW: This is Menasha’s first-ever Bay Conference home game, so the Bluejays will likely want to make a huge impression.
Hortonville (1-0) at (1) Kimberly (1-0): Hortonville had a nice 38-20 home win against Appleton East last week but now has to travel to the defending Division 2 state champs Kimberly, which pasted Oshkosh North last week, 42-6. If Hortonville can get over playing at Kimberly maybe it can give the Papermakers a game.
FWIW: Kimberly scored on its second play last week, so Hortonville’s defense needs to make the Makers work for points or it will be a long night.
Little Chute (1-0) at Wrightstown (1-0): Little Chute smoked Clintonville last week, 42-6, while Wrightstown edged Freedom, 20-19. Both teams like to run the ball, so a fourth-quarter lead will be big in terms of forcing the opponent out of its comfort zone.
FWIW: Both teams are looking to make early-season noise and a win in this game will amp up the volume on their season.
Pick: Little Chute.
(2) Ashwaubenon (1-0) at Manitowoc (1-0): Ashwaubenon's defense was stingy in a Week 1 win at Green Bay Preble, while Manty's defense stymied Green Bay Southwest. Now, the Trojans have to find a way to slow down QB James Morgan an Co. Good luck.
FWIW: The Ships have a chance to make the biggest statement this early season following a road win at Green Bay Southwest with a win against Ashwaubenon.
- Neenah (1-0) at Appleton East (0-1): Neenah moves to 2-0.
- De Pere (0-1) at Notre Dame (1-0): Tritons send De Pere to 0-2 start.
- (5) Bay Port at Green Bay East (0-1): Pirates will build on last week’s win.
- Denmark (1-0) at Luxemburg-Casco (1-0): Spartans go to 2-0 with home win.
- Oconto (1-0) at (9) Kewaunee (1-0): Storm makes it 2-0.
- Green Bay Preble (0-1) at Pulaski (1-0): Red Raiders become surprise 2-0 team.