UW-Oshkosh police look to ID person who fired shot

University of Wisconsin-Oshkosh police respond to Reeve Memorial Union for a report of a shot fired, March 8, 2014. (WLUK)
University of Wisconsin-Oshkosh police respond to Reeve Memorial Union for a report of a shot fired, March 8, 2014. (WLUK)

OSHKOSH – Firearms and weapons are not allowed inside University of Wisconsin-Oshkosh campus buildings. There are signs on the doors.

But someone either missed or ignored those signs on Reeve Memorial Union Saturday night.

"We do not – at this time – have anybody in custody," said UW-Oshkosh Police Chief Joseph LeMire.

Police were called a little after 11 p.m. for a fight at the building. That's where the Black Student Union – BSU – was holding a dance.

While police were there, someone fired a handgun into the ceiling. No one was hurt. It's unclear if the fight is related.

"UW-Oshkosh students, Black Student Union – everybody's been helpful, cooperative with whatever information they did have," said LeMire at a press conference Monday morning.

FOX 11's requests for comment from BSU student leaders have gone unreturned. An academic advisor for the registered student organization says, right now, the group is not wishing to make comment on the issue.

So who fired the shot and why? Those are just some of the questions investigators are trying to figure out.

LeMire says the department is reviewing building surveillance. There is still no known motive, no weapon and no suspect.

However, police are giving a limited description of the suspect, saying the person is a black male, between 5’7”-5’10”, with a short buzz cut, and was last seen wearing a black hooded sweatshirt.

LeMire doesn’t believe the man is a student and hopes to have a suspect identified in the next couple days.

Police are asking anyone with pictures or video immediately after the shooting to contact university police.

That being said, some questions linger.

On Sunday, some students wondered why it took the university hours to send out a text alert about the shooting.

"But it was like two hours, after, so, we were really unsure about what was happening," said sophomore Stephanie Schuler.

"We had known – from there – that we believed that the person had left the scene and even left campus,” said LeMire, when questioned about the alerts. “So, we didn't think there was an ongoing threat."

He says the department is reviewing its practices and will work to send out messages faster, give more people messaging permission and increase students signed up for text alert services.

"We want to cover those three bases and make sure we close that gap," he said.