Fox Valley Lutheran could have had a disappointing week last week or a great week, depending what it did against the two teams chasing the Foxes in the Eastern Valley Conference.
FVL played at rival Xavier and hosted Little Chute and as it turned out the Foxes had a great week. FVL won both games and remain on pace to win at least a share of its third straight conference title.
FVL’s wins keep it at No. 3 this week in the FOX 11 Top 11 girls basketball rankings and trail only No. 1 Kimberly and No. 2 Notre Dame, respectively. The rest of the top five is No. 4 New London and No. 5 Algoma.
Two teams exited the poll this week in Xavier and St. Mary’s Springs and were replaced by Hortonville, which is making some serious noise in the Bay Conference, and De Pere.
- This week Kimberly plays the two teams tied for second place in the Fox Valley Association – Appleton North and Oshkosh North. Each trails Kimberly by three games in the FVA and if Kimberly wins both games the Papermakers will repeat as FVA champs.
- Interesting nonconference game Saturday as FVL travels to New London. Both teams are obviously playing well. Good late-season test before postseason tips off.
- The Bay Conference might have to wait until the last day of the season to see which team prevails. New London leads Hortonville by one game and Oconto Falls by two and plays each on the road. The New London game at Hortonville is the final game of the season.
Here this weeks’ FOX 11 Top 11 girls basketball poll:
- Kimberly (17-0): Papermakers can smell the FVA title. Last week: No. 1.
- Notre Dame (15-1): Tritons face two road games this week. Last week: No. 3.
- Fox Valley Lutheran (13-1): Foxes make statement with wins over Xavier and Little Chute. Last week: No. 3.
- New London (12-2): In two wins last week Bulldogs allowed 31 total points. Last week: No. 4.
- Algoma (15-2): Wolves post nice 49-43 win over Pulaski. Last week: No. 5.
- Oconto (14-2): Blue Devils have key game at Kewaunee on Tuesday. Last week: No. 6.
- Lourdes Academy (15-2): Knights have won 55 straight conference games. Last week: No. 8.
- Reedsville (16-1): Panthers face Hilbert on Tuesday, the only team to beat them. Last week: No. 10.
- Hortonville (12-3): Polar Bears make statement with win over Oconto Falls. Last week: No. 11.
- Oconto Falls (12-2): Panthers fall two games behind lead in Bay Conference. Last week: No. 7.
- De Pere (12-4): Redbirds in third place in the FRCC. Last week: unranked.
Dropped out: No. 11 Xavier (14-4); No. 9 St. Mary’s Springs (15-2).
On the doorstep: St. Mary’s Springs (15-2); Hortonville 12-3; Xavier 14-4; Brillion 13-3.
Follow Doug Ritchay on Twitter @dougritchay