Starting at the top, Kimberly scored on its second play of the season en route to an easy road win over Oshkosh North in a D2 state title rematch that played out the same way.
Among the great individual performances was Bay Port quarterback Alec Ingold, who turned back the clock to his sophomore season when he was a 1,000-yard rusher as a RB. He tore apart De Pere’s defense with 215 yards. He was 6 of 8 for 46 yards in the air.
Among the surprises was Fond du Lac, which went on the road and convincingly beat Appleton North, 27-7. North coach Rob Salm mentioned during the week he thought Fondy could win the Valley Football Association North Division; he might be right.
The first week of the season always leads to changes in Week 2 of the FOX 11 Top 11 and the changes are three teams left the poll and three teams enter.
The highest debut is Fond du Lac which checks in at No. 7. Meanwhile, Waupaca and Shiocton round out the poll at No. 10 and No. 11, respectively.
1. Kimberly (1-0): Papermakers pick up where they left off with 42-6 win over Oshkosh North. Last week: No. 1.
2. Ashwaubenon (1-0): Jaguars defense outshines James Morgan in Week 1 win. Last week: No. 2.
3. Menasha (1-0): Bluejays open strong with 41-7 win over New London. Last week: No. 3.
4. West De Pere (1-0): Phantoms give new coach Jack Batten his first win, 49-0, over Oconto Falls. Last week: No. 5.
5. Bay Port (1-0): Alec Ingold opens with 215 rushing yards, and yes, he’s a quarterback. Last week: No. 7.
6. Xavier (1-0): Hawks scored final 32 points to beat Berlin, 40-32. Last week: No. 4.
7. Fond du Lac (1-0): Cardinals open season with statement win over Appleton North, 27-7. Last week: unranked.
8. St. Mary’s Springs (1-0): Ledgers give coach Bob Hyland 400th coaching win with victory over Sheboygan Falls, 30-7. Last week: No. 8.
9. Kewaunee (1-0): The Storm steamrolls past Peshtigo in opener, 52-0. Last week: No. 11.
10. Waupaca (1-0): Comets start season with 49-20 win over Fox Valley Lutheran. Last week: unranked.
11. Shiocton (1-0): Defending D5 state champs cruise in opener, 45-0. Last week: unranked.
Dropped out: No. 6 Appleton North (0-1); No. 9 Green Bay Southwest (0-1); No. 10 Seymour (0-1).
Follow Doug Ritchay on Twitter @dougritchay