In New London’s 52-38 win it made it difficult for the conference’s leading scorer, McKenna Larsen, to get anything going and limited her to 10 points by double-teaming her in the backcourt in an effort to get the ball out of her hands. And when that pressure was applied elsewhere, it was hard for Larsen’s teammates to get comfortable.
New London lost its first two games of the season as former coach Troy Krause returned, but since then the Bulldogs have won seven straight and now have entered the top five of this week’s girls basketball FOX 11 Top 11.
Starting out the top five is Kimberly, which holds the top spot, and the rest of the top five is Algoma, Notre Dame, Fox Valley Lutheran and New London.
Meanwhile, Oconto Falls dropped from No. 2 to No. 7 this week after the loss.
Also, there are no new teams in the poll this week.
- 1. New London’s 45-game winning streak in the Bay Conference was on the line last week against Oconto Falls and it is again Tuesday as Hortonville, which has as many conference losses as New London to-date — zero — visits. If the Bulldogs win again by double figures you have to wonder if it ever loses a Bay game this season.
- 2. One team not in the poll this week could get there next week if it takes care of business on Thursday. De Pere, which is going through a coaching transition this season and has many new players, is 9-3 and plays at Notre Dame in a big Fox River Classic Conference game.
- 3. Reedsville and Brillion each have one loss in the Olympian Conference and Reedsville had two big wins last week, topping thumping Wrightstown (59-41) and edging St. Mary Central (45-41). Brillion hosts Reedsville on Jan. 28 in what could be the conference championship game.
Here this week's FOX 11 Top 11 girls basketball poll:
1. Kimberly (13-0): Frankie Wurtz has reached double figures in scoring in 12 of 13 games. Last week: No. 1.
2. Algoma (9-1): Wolves take the “War on the Shore” by 31 points over Kewaunee. Last week: No. 3.
3. Notre Dame (10-1): Tritons have big road game Thursday at De Pere. Last week: No. 4.
4. Fox Valley Lutheran (8-1): Foxes have six players who average at least 5 ppg. Last week: No. 5.
5. New London (7-2): Bulldogs take showdown against Oconto Falls. Last week: No. 9.
6. Oconto (9-2): Two road tests this week at Peshtigo (Monday) and at Southern Door (Friday). Last week: No. 6.
7. Oconto Falls (7-1): Panthers look to rebound after first loss of season Tuesday at West De Pere. Last week: No. 2.
8. Lourdes Academy (10-2): Maddy Reed is 12 of 23 from beyond the arc this season. Last week: No. 7.
9. St. Mary’s Springs (10-1): Ledgers have two 5-game winning streaks this season. Last week: No. 8.
10. Two Rivers (9-1): Purple Raiders post comeback win over Plymouth last week. Last week: No. 10.
11. Reedsville (10-1): During 5-game winning streak Panthers allowing 35.6 ppg. Last week: No. 11.
—Dropped out: None.
—On the doorstep: Hortonville 9-2; Xavier 10-3; De Pere 9-3; Brillion 9-1, Peshtigo 9-2.
Follow Doug Ritchay on Twitter @dougritchay