Official: Militants asked $132.5 million ransom

In this Friday, May 27, 2011, file photo, journalist James Foley poses for a photo during an interview with The Associated Press, in Boston. A video by Islamic State militants that purports to show the killing of Foley by the militant group was released Tuesday, Aug. 19, 2014. Foley, from Rochester, N.H., went missing in 2012 in northern Syria while on assignment for Agence France-Press and the Boston-based media company GlobalPost.
In this Friday, May 27, 2011, file photo, journalist James Foley poses for a photo during an interview with The Associated Press, in Boston. A video by Islamic State militants that purports to show the killing of Foley by the militant group was released Tuesday, Aug. 19, 2014. Foley, from Rochester, N.H., went missing in 2012 in northern Syria while on assignment for Agence France-Press and the Boston-based media company GlobalPost. (AP Photo/Steven Senne, File)

WASHINGTON (AP) – A U.S. official says the Islamic State militants who beheaded American journalist James Foley in Syria had demanded $132.5 million – or 100 million Euros- in ransom for his release.

A second U.S. official says the demands were sent in emails to Foley’s family in New Hampshire. Both officials spoke Thursday on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss the ransom demands by name.

Separately, Foley’s former employer said that the militants first demanded the money late last year.

GlobalPost CEO Philip Balboni also indicated that European governments paid far less to have the Islamic State release their hostages.

U.S. policy prohibits the government negotiating with terrorists, including paying ransom.

A video of Foley’s beheading was released on websites Tuesday.

blog comments powered by Disqus