MARINETTE – The estate of a murder victim has been awarded $5.6 million in a wrongful death civil lawsuit.
Brent Kaempf is serving a life prison term for the April 2013 murder of his girlfriend, Trish Waschbisch. Waschbisch was the interim director of Rainbow House, a domestic violence shelter in Marinette.
Her estate, including her two children, filed a wrongful death suit against Kaempf. After Judge James Morrison ruled in the estate’s favor, Thursday he made the following judgements against Kaempf:
* $700,000 for loss of society and companionship – $350,000 each for the children, Justin and Alexis
* $900,000 for pecuniary damages (lost wages)
* $2,000,000 for pain and suffering
* $2,000,000 in punitive damages
* $2,500 for miscellaneous expenses.
Attorney Timothy Hawley, who represented the estate, said that, realistically, Kaempf will never pay the full amount