Manitowoc business evacuated for fire

File photo.
File photo.

MANITOWOC – A business was evacuated for a short time Wednesday morning because of a fire in a ventilation system.

Firefighters were called to Parker Hannifin, 1440 N. 24th St., around 11:15 a.m. Employees were already being evacuated from the building when firefighters got there.

A fire in a filtration system was put out quickly. Because the ductwork ventilated to the outside, there was no smoke that needed to be removed from the building.

Although the fire is still being investigated, firefighters believe it started in a robotic metal cutting machine. The machine’s safety mechanisms worked as designed, but hot embers found got into the ductwork, lighting filters on fire.

Employees were able to go back to work in less than an hour.

blog comments powered by Disqus