MADISON – A piece of Wisconsin Badgers basketball history has been exposed – if only briefly.
On its Twitter account, UW-Madison shared a photo of the basketball floor in the Armory and Gymnasium, better known as the “Red Gym.” That’s where Badgers teams played from the basketball program’s inception in 1898-99 until the UW Fieldhouse opened in 1930.
The floor is exposed because two offices currently housed in the Red Gym – the Multicultural Student Center and International Student Services – are undergoing renovations and having carpet replaced. The Red Gym has been home to several offices since a renovation in the late 1990s.
The Red Gym, which opened in 1894, is a registered National Historic Landmark. Besides basketball games, its history includes military drills and political speeches. The first public performance of “On, Wisconsin!” took place in the Red Gym on Nov. 11, 1909.