ASHWAUBENON – Our next Cooking With You guest is Marissa Hunnel from Appleton!
Marissa joined FOX 11′s Emily Deem in the studio to create some great meatless meals just in time for lent!
Avocado Greek Quinoa Salad
1/2 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed and drained
1 cup water
2 roma tomatoes, seeded and finely chopped
1/2 cup shredded fresh spinach
1/3 cup finely chopped red onion
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 ripe avocados, halved, seeded, peeled, and sliced
1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese
1. In a small saucepan combine quinoa and water. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered about 15 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Place quinoa in a medium bowl.
2. Add tomatoes, shredded spinach, and onion to quinoa; stir to combine. In a small bowl whisk together lemon juice, olive oil, and salt. Add to quinoa mixture; toss to coat.
3. Place spinach leaves on four salad plates. Divide quinoa mixture evenly over spinach leaves and top with avocado slices and sprinkle each serving with some feta.
Per 1 1/3 cups
Two Bean Tamale Pie
1 large green pepper chopped
1 medium onion chopped
3 cloves garlic
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 15-16oz cans black beans, rinsed, drained, and slightly mashed
1 15-16oz can pinto beans, rinced, drained, and slightly mashed
1 11.5oz can (1 1/3 cups) V8 low sodium vegetable juice
1 1/2 cups frozen sweet corn
1 4oz can diced green chile peppers, undrained
1 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1 8.5oz package corn bread muffin mix (I used jiffy)
1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1/4 cup fresh snipped cilantro
Sour Cream (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. spray a 3 quart rectangle baking dish with non stick spray; set aside.
2. In a large skillet cook sweet pepper, onion, and garlic in hot oil until tender. Stir in slightly mashed black and pinto beans; vegetable juice; sweet corn; undrained chile peppers; chili powder; and cumin. Heat bean mixture through and spoon into prepared dish.
3.Prepare corn muffin mix according to package directions; add cheese and cilantro to batter, stirriing just until combined. Evenly spoon corn muffin mixture on top of bean mixture. Bake, uncovered, for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden. If desired, serve with salsa and/or sour cream.
fiber- 12 g