The Bay Conference race this season feels like it has flew under the radar this season, but Friday the conference takes center stage when Oconto Falls plays at Hortonville, and both teams are one game behind leader New London in the conference race
This is the first of two meetings this season and each plays New London one more time. That’s four games that will shape a conference race that New London has owned in recent seasons.
New London checks in at No. 4 this week in the FOX 11 Top 11, while Oconto Falls checks in at No. 7. As for the top five, it looks like this: Kimberly, Notre Dame, Fox Valley Lutheran, New London and Algoma.
No teams left the poll, but Algoma dropped three spots after a road loss to Green Bay Preble.
- Kimberly is cruising atop the Fox Valley Association but the Papermakers have a challenger on their schedule next Thursday, Feb. 13. Appleton North has been playing well lately and trails Kimberly by two games. The FVA could get interesting if North pulls the upset.
- Fox Valley Lutheran is on the verge of winning a third straight Eastern Valley title. It plays at Xavier on Tuesday, which is one game behind the Foxes. A win for FVL would put the Foxes in great shape.
- Just like the boys race in the Fox River Classic Conference has many quality teams, so does the girls. Sheboygan North, Notre Dame, De Pere, Bay Port, Green bay Southwest and Pulaski are all at least two games over .500 in conference play entering Tuesday’s action.
Here this weeks’ FOX 11 Top 11 girls basketball poll:
- Kimberly (15-0): Papermakers have two-game lead in FVA. Last week: No. 1.
- Notre Dame (13-1): Tritons rolling but have a tricky game Thursday against Pulaski. Last week: No. 3.
- Fox Valley Lutheran (11-1): Foxes can assume control of Eastern Valley with win over Xavier on Tuesday. Last week: No. 4.
- New London (10-2): Six teams have not reached 20 points against Bulldogs. Last week: No. 5.
- Algoma (12-2): Wolves stumble on the road at Green Bay Preble. Last week: No. 2.
- Oconto (12-2): Emily Shallow proving to be dangerous from beyond the arc. Last week: No. 6.
- Oconto Falls (10-1): Panthers have big game Friday at Hortonville. Last week: No. 7.
- Lourdes Academy (13-2): Next four at home for the Knights. Last week: No. 8.
- St. Mary’s Springs (15-1): Ledgers play at Kettle Moraine Lutheran on Thursday, which is the only team to beat them this season. Last week: No. 9.
- Reedsville (14-1): Panthers eyeing second straight conference title. Last week: No. 10.
- Xavier (13-3): Hawks need win Tuesday against FVL in regards to winning Eastern Valley. Last week: No. 11.
—Dropped out: None.
—On the doorstep: Hortonville 10-3; De Pere 11-4; Brillion 12-3, Peshtigo 11-2.
Follow Doug Ritchay on Twitter @dougritchay