As far as the regular season is concerned Tuesday’s boys basketball game at Oshkosh North doesn’t get bigger. The Spartans host Neenah in a No. 1 vs. No. 2 clash.
Top-ranked Neenah beat No. 2 North in the season’s first meeting, but now the Spartans have home cooking and a win likely means these teams will tie for first in the Fox Valley Association. The game is also important for postseason seeding as these teams are in the same sectional and could meet in a sectional semifinal.
A Neenah win would almost guarantee the Rockets a No. 1 seed, but a loss and North could have something on its side.
As for the FOX 11 Top 11 this week, after the top two teams in the poll, Seymour checks in at No. 3, N.E.W. Lutheran moves up one spot to No. 4 and Roncalli rounds out the top five.
The biggest change saw Ashwaubenon drop from No. 4 to No. 10 after a home loss to Green Bay Southwest last week.
- 1. Friday there is a big game at West De Pere, when the Phantoms host Shawano in a Bay Conference tilt. The Phantoms are one game behind leader Seymour, but Shawano beat the Phantoms in the teams’ first meeting this season. A Hawks win would likely would eliminate West De Pere from catching Seymour.
- 2. Ripon (9-1 Eastern Valley) has a two-game lead in the Eastern Valley and the Tigers could push aside a challenger for the top spot Saturday when it plays at Xavier (8-3), which is two games behind. A Xavier win, though, tightens a league that also has Little Chute two games behind.
- 3. It’s a four-team race in the Fox River Classic Conference and among hem teams involved is Pulaski, which is one game behind co-leaders De Pere, Ashwaubenon and Bay Port. A lot will happen down the stretch in what has to be the most competitive league in the area.
Here is this week’s poll:
1. Neenah (15-0): Rockets put perfect record on line Tuesday at Oshkosh North. Last week: No. 1.
2. Oshkosh North (14-2): Spartans eye revenge Tuesday against Neenah. Last week: No. 2.
3. Seymour (14-1): Thunder pays back Shawano with win last Friday. Last week: No. 3.
4. N.E.W. Lutheran (15-1): Blazing a trail to another conference title. Last week: No. 5.
5. Roncalli (16-1): Jets in control of Olympian with 3-game lead. Last week: No. 6.
6. Lourdes Academy (15-0): Schedule lines up for Knights to have perfect regular season. Last week: No. 7.
7. Ripon (12-2): Tigers have big game Saturday at Xavier. Last week: No. 8.
8. Laconia (17-1): Spartans have big game Friday at Kettle Moraine Lutheran. Last week: No. 9.
9. Pulaski (13-3): Red Raiders have won 6 games in a row. Last week: No. 10.
10. Ashwaubenon (14-3): Kyle Monroe joins 1,000-point club. Last week: No. 6.
11. Peshtigo (14-1: Bulldogs have two seven-game winning streaks. Last week: unranked.
—Dropped out: None.
—On the doorstep: West De Pere 11-3, Valders 14-3. Xavier 12-4.