Two weeks ago it appeared De Pere and West De Pere were favored to win their respective conferences, but now neither could miss out on at least sharing a league title.
De Pere lost two games last week to fall out of first place in the Fox River Classic Conference, while West De Pere dropped a game at Shawano, dropping it out of a first-place tie in the Bay.
There is time for each team to regroup and make a run, but the landscape of the conferences changed. What hasn’t changed is top of this week’s FOX 11 Top 11 boys rankings, where this week’s top five — Neenah, Oshkosh North, Seymour, Ashwaubenon and N.E.W. Lutheran — hold their position.
After that teams moved around, including De Pere, West De Pere and Valders, which dropped out of the rankings. Three new teams this week are No. 8 Ripon, which leads the Eastern Valley, No. 10 Pulaski, which beat De Pere last week and No. 11 Peshtigo, which leads the M&O.
- With Ripon’s win at Laconia last week in a nonconference game, only Neenah and Lourdes Academy remain undefeated.
- Seymour’s Dakota Oskey and Sandy Cohen last week cleared the 1,000-point barrier in their careers against Marinette. This isn’t rare for Seymour duos to accomplish this together as three seasons ago Phil Romback and Calahan Skogman topped 1,000 points when Oskey and Cohen were freshmen.
- The Olympian has a big game Thursday, and the game shouldn’t be frozen out like Tuesday’s games were around the area. Roncalli (11-0 in the Olympian) hosts Valders (9-2) and a Jets win would give them a 3-game lead in the conference, basically assuring them of a league title.
Here is this week’s poll:
- Neenah (14-0): Not to look ahead, but Neenah plays at Oshkosh North next Tuesday. Last week: No. 1.
- Oshkosh North (13-2): Not to look ahead, but North hosts Neenah next Tuesday. Last week: No. 2.
- Seymour (13-1): Thunder plays at Shawano on Friday and winner takes over first place in the Bay. Last week: No. 3.
- Ashwaubenon (13-2): Kyle Monroe on pace to be named FRCC player of the year. Last week: No. 6.
- N.E.W. Lutheran (14-1): Blazers tested last week with two wins by less than 10 points. Last week: No. 5.
- Roncalli (14-1): Jets posted big win over Brillion on Monday. Last week: No. 7.
- Lourdes Academy (13-0): Knights took down Randolph last week, 54-49. Last week: No. 9.
- Ripon (11-2): Tigers sent statement with 42-23 win at Little Chute last week. Last week: unranked.
- Laconia (15-1): Loss to Ripon last week snapped 40-game regular-season winning streak. Last week: No. 6.
- Pulaski (11-3): Bulldogs jump into FRCC race after win against De Pere. Last week: unranked.
- Peshtigo (12-1): Only loss was 3-point setback to Luxemburg-Casco. Last week: unranked.
—Dropped out: No. 8 De Pere (10-5); No. 10 West De Pere (10-3); No. 11 Valders (13-2).
—On the doorstep: Brillion 11-4, West De Pere 10-3, Valders 13-2, Xavier 11-4, Bay Port 10-5.
Follow Doug Ritchay on Twitter @dougritchay